The shortlist for the inaugural Jhalak Prize has been announced. What is the Jhalak prize? In its inaugural year, the Jhalak Prize aims to recognise the best books (and ultimately book) of the year written by a British or British-resident BAME (Black, Asian, minority ethnic) author. The winner of the prize receives the accolade along with a £1,000 prize. For this first year the books and authors on the shortlist are.
• The Girl Of Ink & Stars - Kiran Millwood Hargrave (Chicken House)
• A Rising Man - Abir Mukherjee (Harvill Secker)
• Speak Gigantular - Irenosen Okojie (Jacaranda)
• Black And British: A Forgotten History - David Olusoga (Macmillan)
• The Bone Readers - Jacob Ross (Peepal Tree Press)
• Another Day In The Death Of America - Gary Younge (Faber)
We will of course be posting when the winner is announced, but for now we'll leave you with some of the authors responses, including one from a new-to-Twitter Jacob Ross, and one by Gary Younge which seems to link to some other website. Not sure what that is...